Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Zoo and Halloween Cookies

McKay had his first day at the zoo yesterday. And yes, he couldn't have cared less! He liked the stroller though and was wrapped up all snug. I can't wait until he is old enough to understand where he is and love seeing the animals.



I loved this picture because the baby elephant was sitting on the ball!

Wiped out from....? Well, from all the animals I guess!

It's a tradition of my family's to make pumpkin sugar cookies for Halloween. We grew up doing this but haven't done it for a few years. It's different when you are all grown up and out of the house. But we all have kids now and it's time to start the tradition up again. I was in charge this year and made my first batch of my mom's famous sugar cookie and frosting recipe. I like to cook but these sugar cookies gave me a hard time. You really have to work with the dough and I don't like "fussy" recipes. I finally got an idea what my mom went through year after year for us kids.
My mom would always frost the cookies (because no one puts enough frosting on the cookies for her! Have some cookie with your frosting is her motto!) and then us kids would decorate them. For this first year though, we thought it would be fun to have Jeneveve and Chase frost and decorate their own cookie. Chase had no idea what was going on and wanted to get down after 30 seconds. Jeneveve realized she had frosting and candy in front of her and ate more then she decorated. What else do you expect from a 2 year old? She lasted 3 minutes and after eating her heart out, she was done. Annie, Shani and I frosted and decorated the rest while my mom played with the kids. We had a great time and it was fun to bring this tradition back. This is one of Taylor's favorite things to do so these pictures are for you Tay. We love and miss you!!

"Chase, this is the knife we want you to use to spread the frosting around with. Why can't you do it????"

"Cookie? What cookie? All I see is candy!"

"Oh, you want me to put the candy there? That's a waste!"

Some of the finished product. Somehow, I missed the picture of Annie's blue "Y" cookie. She did it just for her crazy BYU sister-in-law!

2 comments:

Jaime Lynne said...

Fun post, Jadee! I bet those are some of the best sugar cookies on the planet. I still remember what an amazing cook your mother is.

And, yes! It does get more awesome when they care a little more and take an interest in their surroundings. I remember these same feelings with Zackary and now the world is his playground. Every stage is such a joy! I am happy you have McKay's eyes through which you can experience the whole world anew!

McKays said...

That's okay it was a pretty weird looking "Y." I'll perfect it next year.