Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Our little one has arrived!!

Monday night I got a phone call from McKay-Dee Hospital setting up my induction time for the next day at 7:30am. I was pretty sad at that point because I had wanted to go into labor by myself. But it didn't look like it was meant to be. Gary's mom got into town Monday night so that was nice. My dad had made the comment that the little guy sure had been accommodating to people's schedules. He waited for us to get into our house and for Gary's mom to come.

That night, Gary and my dad gave me a priesthood blessing. I was pretty anxious and nervous. I knew our whole life was going to change in a few hours. Gary and I went to bed knowing that would be the last time, kid free. I soon woke up around 2:30 am to go to the bathroom and noticed bright red blood in the toilet. It scared me so I actually texted my friend who is a resident at McKay-Dee Hospital and happened to be there that night. She reassured me that that was a normal stage of labor but if I got worried, I could come in early since I would be going in in a few hours anyway. I went back to bed and tried to sleep. I did a little bit but not very much.

We got to the hospital at 7:30am and everything started at once. I got my IV, Pitocin was started and my doctor came in to break my water. Once hooked up to the baby monitor, my nurse, Jeri, who was FABULOUS, told me I was contracting every 2-3 minutes and they were lasting 1 minute. I couldn't believe it because I wasn't hurting at all. I was also dilated to a 3. Well, as me, Gary, his mom and my dad sat there, the Pitocin started kicking in really fast and my contractions started up. I guess it was exactly what I thought a contraction would feel like...a really bad menstrual cramp. I had told my nurse when I first got there that I was going to try to go natural. Never did she tell me I shouldn't try or talked me out of it. She just said if I ever changed my mind to let her know. By 11:30am, the contractions were coming so fast and lasting long enough that I wasn't getting much of a break in between. She checked me and I was still only dilated to a 3. I wanted to cry. Pretty much I was. Gary asked me if I wanted an epidural and I finally gave in and said yes. If I was hurting that badly and was still only a 3, I knew I would be there for awhile. I had tried walking around, leaning over, using a bouncy ball...ya, nothing took the pain away. Once I told my nurse, the anesthesiologist was in there in about 5 minutes hooking things up. And yes, the epidural hurt so badly, I actually did cry.

Once the medicine kicked in, I was able to relax and take a short nap. The nurse came in around 1:30pm to check me and I was at a 9! And I wasn't feeling any of it. Fabulous! But, it seemed like as birth time got closer, the baby was really kicking my ribs and he was taking my breath away. Plus I was starting to feel the pressure again. At 2:45pm, my doctor had been called and my nurse was having me start to push. I had no feeling below my waist though so I didn't feel like I was doing ANYTHING. Just holding my breathe, pretending to bare down and feeling like I'm going to pass out from lack of oxygen. My nurse brought in a mirror so I could see what I was doing and that I was making progress because the nurse and Gary saw the top of the head appear. My doctor rushed in the door at 3:00pm and I pushed till 3:23pm when McKay Joseph Hallman was born. He was 8 lbs, 13 ounces, 21 inches long and I was told the doctor had to give me an episiotomy or else I would have torn inside and out from the baby's size.

They handed me my baby and let me do skin to skin with him while they were drying him off. I couldn't believe our baby was finally here. It was a true miracle and I was instantly in love with my little guy. Gary cut the cord (by the way, he did great with the birth. I thought the blood and guts would bother him but he was down by the doctor the whole time watching!) and the baby started screaming. The best sound in the world!! He came out with quite the bump on his head but who wouldn't coming through a birth canal?

They took McKay from me because he wasn't breathing that well. They had to give him oxygen and suck him out many times. His color went from blue to purple to very pale. He was breathing in the 70's. I'm an infant nurse so I know about a lot of this stuff but it is so different when it's your baby. After a few minutes, he settled down enough to let me try breast feeding him. Such a weird and different sensation but I felt so bonded with my son. Family came in to visit then we were moved to a different room. Everything happened so fast but it was all just simply amazing. I can't believe I have a baby! Besides being married in the temple to someone I love so much, I have not wanted anything in life as much as I did to have a baby and be a mom. I don't know how I got so lucky but I did. I love my husband for being by my side every step of the way, for being so excited with me and for loving me, even as a big, swollen laboring woman! What a true man!

Here are a few pictures. Of course there will be many more to come!!

Gary cutting the cord

My first contact with my baby! I was so amazed at this point

Given McKay some extra oxygen and suctioning his lungs out

Our happy family of 3

Looking at my baby, still wondering how I got so lucky

Big yawn and frog legs.

Labor was the hardest thing I have EVER done in life. But I would do it all over again to have you in our life. I love you little man, always and forever!!! Thank you to my Mom, Dad and Gary's mom for being there to support us. We love you guys!!!


Meggera said...

Isn't that the most AMAZING and indescribable feeling?! Oh man, I am so happy for you guys! I know how badly you have wanted this and have been waiting for it Jadee and you couldn't deserve it more! Love you so much and cannot wait to meet that bundle!

Brandon and Laura said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I love hearing the story from a nurses perspective. What a stinkin' cute little guy, just like his cousin JV.

Amy said...

Congratulations!!! he is a cute little guy. Loved the story and I am so glad things went so well!

Jaime Lynne said...

Congratulations to you both, Jadee. I am so happy for you and this journey you have finally embarked on. McKay is a wonderful name!

About Us said...

So cute! Congrats! Isn't being a mommy the best?! I love reading birth stories! I hope you recover well & you enjoy your little sweet bundle!

Jordan and Kristi said...

I'm so glad he's finally here!! Even though I already knew the story of adorable little McKay I loved reading it on here too! Thanks for keeping me updated while you were in the hospital! You're going to be such a good mommy! Love ya!

The Barbers said...

Congrats!! I am so happy both mom and baby are doing well :) Enjoy your time with him! What a cute family :)

McKays said...

Love him already.

And, I guess you guys are pretty cool too.

Britt said...

Congrats guys! He's adorable! We cant wait to meet him!

HOPE said...

Congrats girl!! Im glad you got the epidural!! Nobody should have to be in that kind of pain!! He is such a little cutie! Soak up every minute because in the blink of an eye he will be 6 weeks old!!! Congrats! Love the name by the way!! :)

Shani said...

I love this little fella so dang much all ready!

Harmonee said...

He is absolutely adorable! and looking very much like daddy! You are going to be an awesome mommy Jadee! Trust me! I know, you took amazing care of my love!

Brandi said...

So your baby is over two weeks old and I need to see more pictures. LOTS more pictures! I check my computer like every two seconds to see if you have update. Congrats and I hope that you are loving being a mom!!!