Friday, August 21, 2009

A camping we will go...

My family doesn't camp. Just ask any of us. Okay, okay, Taylor might...once in a while...but as for the rest of us, we don't do it. We don't like to get dirty or smelling like campfire. We like sleeping in our own beds. We like having flushing toilets and running water. We don't like bugs. So, we just don't camp. We don't own camping equipment. But, I got married to a man who loves the outdoors, camping, and the smell of campfire. So I consented and last weekend, we went camping with our friends.

My premonition was not to go. The weather report said thunderstorms and a low of 37 degrees at night. It rained the day we left and then on our drive to the Uintas. But I tried to be a "happy camper" and went along. We finally found a campsite and we quickly set up our tents because the sky was darkening quickly. No sooner as we finished did it start hailing on us. Great. I'm already freezing. Luckily I found some mittens in my coat I had brought. I had also talked my husband into buying and bringing an umbrella for our night out...because I had checked the weather.

The hail stopped and the rain came. Pouring rain. Rain that was putting out our campfire...the only thing keeping us warm. The few of us that had umbrella's had to stand over the fire so the rain wouldn't put our fire out. That caused a TON of smoke and the smoke inhalation was intoxicating. Our lungs were burning. We couldn't see. It was cold, make that FREEZING. I didn't even get to have a S'more (I love these!!) because my fingers were numb and we didn't have much of a fire. Good thing Gary had brought our BBQ grill to cook some hamburger and hot dogs.

I was wet all over and Gary and I decided to call it a night. We went to our tent and mud got everywhere. Then I had to go to the bathroom...in the rain...with no outhouse. Jeez. After getting settled and putting our 5-6 layers on us, we settled in for the night. I was COLD. I ended up putting my extra pair of sweat pants OVER MY HEAD to keep some heat in. Ya, it was awful. I had a restless night and woke up to a flat air mattress. When I finally had the courage to get out from the covers and go out to get some breakfast, I was numb. Everything was frozen! We had pancakes with frozen butter and syrup. My husband informed me that his watch said it was 42 degrees that morning. Sweet.

Breakfast was just about over and I wanted to get out of there...fast. More dark clouds coming in. I begged Gary to take our tent down and to leave. We did but as we were cleaning up, SNOW. SNOW! SNOW!!! I HATE SNOW! In the middle of August? Really? Depressing. We finally got cleaned up and left. I couldn't have been happier. I was wet and chilled to the bone. For those of you who know me, I don't do well with cold.

Moral of the story, doubt I will be going camping for a long...long...LONG time. The one positive? The Uinta's are gorgeous!!! Wish we could have hiked them in warm weather...
Right before snuggling down in our many layers of bed covering. Trying to look happy.

Me putting on my happy face

The tarp covering our firewood to attempt to keep it dry

Gary grilling up some burgers and "Mexican" hot dogs

The hail that plagued our campsite


The crew, trying to keep warm by the fire


Me with my sweatpants over my head, just waking up. Don't know why I am smiling

The pretty Uintas. You can't tell but it is snowing pretty hard in this picture

Um, ya. This is Gary chewing charcoal. For those of you who aren't smart enough to know, chewing charcoal actually cleans your teeth. Who knew?

Just before leaving for home. Can't you see I'm estactic?

3 comments:

Amy said...

HEY! I am glad you have a blog! It is such an easy way to 'stay in touch' with people! Hope you don't mind me snooping!

Oh and I am very, VERY jealous that you have a trainer I would love one! And very jealous of your metabolism.

McKays said...

Does charcoal work for morning breath too?

Kris said...

Did you kiss him after that nasty charcoal? Yep, I remember momma jackie going home every night at girls camp so she could shower and she always wore dresses cause she said it was airconditioning......you were a good sport at girls camp!!!!